Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fun Facts: Hong Kong and Singapore

1. 7-Eleven-
There is a surplus of 7-Elevens in Hong Kong and Singapore. Have you ever walk down your street craving a doughnut or $2 sunglasses and wondered "where are all the 7-elevens?" I have found your answer. Hong Kong is a breeding ground for 7-Elevens. A nest if you will. Every street corner, insides of malls, I didn't go swimming...but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an underwater 7-eleven in the harbor. At one point I stood in a 7-eleven at a mall and looked into another 7-eleven ten yards away. I thought it was an illusion.
Some of you may say "but Nick, don't complain. Who wouldn't love an endless supply of slushies?" Good point, an endless supply of slushies sounds utopian, however, in Hong Kong and Singapore 7-11 is not sinonomous with slushie. Nay, these are slushie-less 7-11's. You have to go to a Coozy's to get a slushie!
Did that not just blow your mind?

2. Umbrellas-
Like 7-11's are to Hong Kong architecture, umbrellas are to the latest in Hong Kong fashion. Umbrellas are the Swiss army knife of hong kong. They're like zip-off pants. There's no season or forecast that doesn't require an umbrella. Rain (understandable), shine (hmm), typhoon, sunset, night, subway tunnel, etc.
7-11 umbrellas are the most popular...and they're always open as well (pun).
The problem with umbrellas is in their vertical placement. Most women in Hong Kong carry an umbrella. Most women in Hong Kong are also under 5ft.6. This places the pointy ends of the umbrella directly eye-level with a 5ft9-10 person, such as myself. You quickly learn new upper body swivels to dodge said pointy ends. Think of one of those punching bags for kids that always bounce back, that's what what walking down the sidewalk in Hong Kong looks like.

3. More to come later...

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Good laugh for the morning! Glad you guys are having fun!

Angela said...

I don't think I can imagine a 7-11 without a slushy... wait... nope, still can't do it.

Tyler S Barry said...

i heard chewing gum is illegal in Singapore. Is that true?

this is nick by the way

Anonymous said...

Boys,
This has been so much fun reading about your trip! It makes me feel like I am there with you. I just introduced Dingle to the blog so get ready for a lot of stupid Nick comments. I miss you guys and I hope you continue to have the best time! Can't wait for the next post! LOVE YOU!

Sarah