Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fun Facts: SE Asia

ABBA CADABRA

Vietnam loves ABBA. Read that again. ABBA, "Dancing Queen" ABBA. In a land untouched by the spreading rash of McDonalds and Starbucks,* ABBA lives, nay, ABBA thrives.

While searching a 3 story bookstore for an English travel guidebook, the only English book Erik and I found was the collective ABBA biography...and they had it in 5 other languages (well 6, but the Vietnamese version was sold out). After this curious discovery, and the two ABBA songs we heard on our 30 minute cab ride from the airport, I asked our friend about ABBA.
"Oh yeah" he said
"They love ABBA...but no one really knows why."

And I'm not talking love, like the way we love Journey in the US. This isn't a "Journey rocks cause I'm drunk and can scream the lyrics to 'Don't Stop Believin' at the top of my lungs!" No, this is a true, pure artistic acceptance of the disco quartet that is ABBA. Apparently, at every club in Hanoi at midnight they play "Winner Takes it All." Now that's devotion (also, if you want to argue that Journey is always a great band, not just after 8 Heinikens, see my side note below).

So, I guess they were wrong. Disco never died, it just moved to Vietnam.


*Side note: We did see one fast food restaurant, KFC, in Hanoi...which I found especially ironic since (to me) KFC is the epitome of American Southern tradition, like Nascar, Journey, and American flag sweatpants.

7 comments:

Brian T. said...

dancing queen is a jam dude.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

I think I heard about that ABBA deal from Anthony Bourdain...

Also, Bojangles is a southern tradition. KFC is gross and can stay in its own state. I think all those things you mentioned are simply NASCAR traditions.

Keep making amazing musical discoveries!

Anonymous said...

Journey. Always a good choice anywhere, anytime. Ill bet even in Nam, if you play "Dont stop Believin", you'll get a great response. And, im gonna have to agree with Stpehanie..I would be seriously impressed if you found a Bojangles..I heard Ho Chi Minh was a big fan. PS...CA and NY are NASCAR's two largest fan bases. So I think that makes You and Chad the most likely Nascar fans from pine st now..

Aunt Judy said...

Way to go Nick ! I love reading about your grand adventures. This will definately be a turning point in your life. Best wishes on the next half of your trip.

Aunt Di said...

Hey Nick! Just caught up with your adventures (my computer crashed at the beginning of August and I just talked my work laptop into speaking with my home internet). So is a docufilm in the works? Sounds like you've got lots of material! Keep journeying, have great adventures, and take care. Can't wait to see you and hear your stories!

Dad said...

I can't believe you are dissing Journey. The band of all ages.

Don't get thrown in jail in Amsterdam...